Monday, 28 February 2011
Off the beaten track
Now normally where I walked yesterday I cannot ramble too much off the well trodden path as there is far too much bramble and bracken, so I was pleased to see that because of all the rainfall much of it had been flattened, I could find my way through the bramble, over a hill I went following my dog prancing and leaping over the prickly bits (the dog not I) and there over the hill were three ponds with trees growing out of them, fallen trees and branches tangled making mirrored images.
This beautiful and very old Oak tree, with large vines growing upon its substantial girth.
How fairy tale like these natural story tellers are, next time I visit these trees I am going to take a torch with me as I would like to see inside here
hopefully I will not be put off when I do!
I had meandered my way further and further I was not quite sure of the way back to the path, I turned back in the general direction of the hill I had scrambled down where I noticed lots of broken crockery and glass, even a nearly whole teapot, poking out of the earth so I stopped and looked harder, must have been an old tip which is now revealing its self, I found a few lovely little pots.
I am a bit of a scavenger, but I really would not have expected tofind a hoard in the woods. I will be going back soon with my rucksack as there were nice terracotta tiles for the garden edges. I like old coloured glass, the little dumpy green pot is very thick and substantial, must be why they survived!
When the weather gets better, please let that be soon! I am going to attempt to find a cave near the Nealothic burial chamber near where I live, I wont be taking anything I find from there, but I will take pictures if possible.
I have heard that there maybe carving or painting in side the cave, it is not common knowledge where this cave is, and I may have to consult with a local Druid, if I can find him that is. How does one go about finding a Druid? maybe I will have to become one, to find out where the cave is. That will not matter, from what I know they love nature and especially trees so I guess I would fit in. I have visited the long barrow many times over the years, it is a truly peaceful and magical place, but not a place to go when wet and sodden.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







Magical... Just magical... Those moss covered spots.
ReplyDeleteMmmmmm, now you're going looking for a cave...
Mmmmmm, and now your newly acquired "Old Auntie" is going to huff and puff a little. How about waiting to go cave hunting, till you find that Druid, and bring him along with you? Two going cave hunting sounds better than one. Well, to your newly acquired "Old Auntie" it does. :-)
Gentle hugs...
Oh! Auntie the thought of finding the local Druid is beginning to feel more exciting than find the cave now! Never fear I will take precautions, in finding both :-)
ReplyDeletethank you for the hugs, sending you blessings and hugs too.
You can actually google Druids and your area and find them. Let us know what you're results are because I think you're right about this being the exciting prospect. I got to you through "Aging Gratefully" and I'm glad I did!
ReplyDeleteHello Cranky Crone,
ReplyDeletelong time no see.
I just had a look at some very early posts of mine and you were one of my first visitors and commenters. In those days I knew nothing about returning calls and making friends; if that is what happened to us, then I am sorry.
I see you have joined Fridge Soup, one of my babies. Thank you for that.
My main blog is still Friko's World, which is quite elderly now, over two years, in fact. Fridge Soup doesn't follow or reply, it is a communal blog.
As for Druids, you will find that they came much later than the Neolithic Age, so none of them will be able to give you a clear answer to your question.
Have fun exploring. Nice to meet you again.
Me again,
ReplyDeleteYou were in fact my first commenter ever, in Jan 2009. How come this blog came up when I clicked on your name on my blog? You say here you only started in 2011?