Yesterday was the first really very sunny day, I could not go to the Coldrum Stones as I had a prior engagement, met up with a crafter friend and her 2 Chows, we had a lovely day adventuring in a valley by a river that had a ruin of a mill, the promise of a good Bluebell season every where, it will be a thick carpet shortly after the Wild Garlic..........I cannot wait, I found a new place for my annual Bluebell picnic spot............heaven!
Today was even better weather, sunny and less cold wind infact a lot less wind altogether, more of a breeze. I decided to day was the day to go and visit the Stones, I even remembered my camera! and made the effort to put in new batteries as I have not used it for a while.
I drove up the track I have always used but not for some time now, the bumps have become even more pronounced which made the going tough as my trusty stead is a Micra! both she and I think we are a truck with four wheel drive, this gets us into to trouble at least twice a year, but we dont let it put us off exploring.
Ok, now I did say we have not been to the Coldrum for some time, infact its longer than I thought, as it was before my husband past away, so 5 years, it does not seem that long at all, but in the mean time they have decided to put up a padlocked gate, I had to dump the car and go on foot with dog, camera around my neck of which is stiff and hurting at the moment, i trudged through the heavy clay which had not dried out as much as I had hoped for.
Since we arrived home I have noticed that the dog looks like she is wearing white nail varnish...quite pretty.
This is the approach after the very muddy bit
the Coldrum is around the corner up on the burial mound
You can just glimpse it through the trees! and then just as I got to the front of it, my camera batteries drained, as usual, NOW this has happened every time I have taken a camera there, I have always thought it was a coincidence, BUT I know I changed the batteries this time. luckily my phone camera worked.
Thes are the stones that have fallen over I believe, at the bottom of the long barrow
And this picture is at the top of the mound but to the left of the standing stone burial chamber, with vast views to the front..................well this is all I have, apart from the views over the fields, below the north downs, because then my phone which was fully charged died, there was a man meditating with huge Quartz Crystals and a pinky Crystal Skull he had connected them with copper wire running from them to around the main head stone!!!
This last picture is the view directly from the mound..........anyway the guy stopped meditating and said hello to me, we chatted for a while and I told him both camera and phone batteries drained and he said it has happened to him too, I did ask him if he was Rob or Phil, but alas he was not, neither had he any knowledge about the cave (Rob and Phil being members of the local Druids) he was Dave, he insisted that I hold his Crystal Skull but what with the dog wanting to pounce all over him I could see her getting all tangled up in the wire and smashing his crystals all over the tomb, so I got going followed a track up the downs, hoping to find a fork in the path as from my recollection you should take the right hand one on the way to find the cave (this is what I have read). I did not even find a fork, still I feel like I have caught the sun and seen a crystal skull.
Next time I go I will take spare batteries in my endeavour to get pictures of the actual Burial Chamber.








Fascinating ! I had no idea any of this existed .
ReplyDeleteI wonder if spare batteries would also drain ? There are places where the energy seems to be different and this may well be one .
On a purely mundane level ( my natural level , I must add ) , it does seem a good spot to have a picnic .
Hmmm, did I post my comment already? Or did it disappear?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, guess I'll say it again... Seems these stones don't want to be photographed. Or, as the person above said.... Were the batteries drained some way?
And a "barrow" is... A hill? The bottom of a hill? A ravine? Whatever it is, I do like the sound of "barrow," better than any other named, I'm sure. :-)
Now I know what happened to my first comment. It is that *dreaded* Word Verification setting! I didn't see it, and .... Poooof.
ReplyDeleteDo you really need that Word Ver. setting on, I wonder?
Auntie, Barrow means the mound on top of the burial chamber and Longbarrow is the shape.........as for the batteries, I feel I have to gice it another go, just to prove to myself one way or the other.
ReplyDeleteIt has got a wonderful energy about it.
It's all so mysterious, this energy business and the places that hold it. I'd love to see the burial chamber. I've been to the burial mound and chamber, Newgrange, in Ireland and experienced remarkable spiritual energy there. It also has beautiful surroundings.
ReplyDeleteWikipedia gave me a little more information about all this, although no better photos, really. Imagine...3000-4000BC... It takes my breath away to think of standing among structures that people touched that long ago!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through Saratoga Woods and Waterways, and, I must say, I'm quite enjoying it. The only time that I had heard of barrows before was when I read Tolkien, so it was very interesting to see a real one. And, the battery problem is fascinating. I will be watching to see what happens the next time you go.
ReplyDeleteOh - you have stirred up some memories for me! When I had my Reiki attunement, it was actually done in the burial chamber... the energy up there is lovely.. I never got down to the bottom to see the other stones though.
ReplyDelete