I have given up my old way of living in many ways, I eat low carb, high fat -ish, I exercise every day on top of my usual ambling through the woods and fields, this usually is swimming and a bit of gym, swimming and gym usually 3 days a week, the days I do floornworkmat home, or get a good old sweat on dancing about for half an hour, and stepping.
My food is delicious, first time in my entire life that I have looked forward to having meals, and not feeling tired after eating, but energised and happy! To achieve this I have had to apply my self stoically, against not only my inner voice, but unhelpfully other people's loud voices, it's funny how everyone has an opinion, even when they have not a clue what they are talking about, I have spent months testing my blood sugars 6 times a day, reading scientific papers where they are available, reading, reading and reading, experimenting with recipes and foods to see what suited my body, and basically what suited me personally, I ended up giving advice to my doctor when she noticed my finger nails, hair and skin looked fabulous.
That was my latest doctors appointment, one that I had to insist on, to measure my BG numbers for the last 3 months and I really wanted to see what had happened to my cholesterol, as I have been eating much more natural fat than I ever have, also eggs. Even though everything I had found out assured me that my cholesterol would be better, I could not quite believe it, after all, it has been rammed down our throats so to speak that fat is bad, all our lives, well the last 30 anyway, funny how we are all still getting fatter given the amount of low fat substitutes every one eats!
So, after the doctor said to me well the meds are obviously working, and me correcting her, I have not taken any medication whatsoever, she looked most surprised staring at the computer screen, looking back at me, and she gave me the news, I am back to pre diabetic numbers and my cholesterol is low, but high on the LDL! I have also lost 3 stone, that is 19.050kg and 42lbs, I am back to the weight I use to be when I was 25, and I almost feel like I am 25 too!
This is all the good news, the bad news is, I have spent a fortune on a new wardrobe, as absolutely nothing fits me, it has been fun though, finally I match the inside me with outside me.
It also seems that I have managed to do this without looking haggard in th face, going from 12 stone to 9 stone in 9 months I would have thought would do that to some one, my skin is still bouyant, I have not gained any wrinkles, infant the opposite, I have noticed that even my eyelashes have become longer. None of what I have done has been difficult once I got the sugar out of my system, and understood how horrible it made me feel, I have been more full up and satisfied, then ever before, I don't need to snack, and I have wonderful energy I have not had in years. I also sleep well and wake up well.
I wish I had known much of this when my father was alive, I could have helped him, well tried my brother thinks he would not have taken any notice, which I guess is true, like many other people I have met along the way, one girlfriend who was over on a visit from Hong Kong, who has already had a small heart attack and has been diagnosed with diabetes at the Same time, looked horrified when I told her what I had been doing, she wanted to know, because she did not recognise me from a distance, she asked why, I told her and that's when she said "oh! I was diagnosed with that a few years ago, but I just took the medication, thought it was a bit like a bad case of dandruff". She is not
a stupid person generally, had a good education, so I was surprised at her attitude. I tried to explain as she seemed very interested in my transformation, when I had finished she proclaimed, she could not possibly manage that as she liked carbs with her carbs, well yeah so did I, to me though it is a no brainer, surely changing the way one eats to save an actual organ inside your body, and all the complications that can bring, has got to be better than pouting and stamping your foot, and proclaiming " I like bread with my chips" or something equally ridiculous.
All the losing weight and healthy looking everything else, is just a side effect of eating a healthy diet, I was not looking for it, all I wanted was for my pancreas to get better. It's a healthy diet for me personally, other people can tolerate all kinds of things, even other diabetic people, it is a very individualistic type of illness, many other diabetics can eat porridge, or brown rice, I am hoping, as time goes by I might be able to tolerate theses things too. I do not suggest, that low carbing is a good way to go for Anyone else, it has taken much trial and error on my behalf, and a bit of a wing and a prayer, especially the fat intake. It's been hard work folks, I know I can do this for the rest of my life, and I know I will always be tweaking my diet and finding more and varied ways of eating, for me that sounds exciting.
I seem to remember mythering about the weather the last time I was here, well, it's been the most wonderful summer we have had in years, I have enjoyed every moment of it and so has Poppy!
This is her wanting to go out for a walk, but not wanting to bother me, in case I said no.
It's been great weather for this too, makes me very happy.












Wow I'm home (yay proper internet again!) and you've done a marvellous catch up post CCL! Poppy is the cutest and I just loved all of the photos! What an enchanting old world village you live in, truly it's just gorgeous. It would inspire me to want to walk and walk. From 12 - 9 is a huge difference - congrats what an achievement. What's so wonderful is your attitude to the difference its made in your life and health issues. HA! what girl doesn't want an excuse for a new wardrobe hey?!
ReplyDeleteYour friend who was over from Hong Kong and her attitude and chosen ignorance of her own health issues is so indicative of how many people view illnesses these days - just pop a pill, she'll be right.
Well mate here's one friend who is filled with admiration for your journey, your self empowerment and its ultimate success! And it was tremendous to see your post up!
Hugs and thinking of you
Rose
Thanks Rose, I hope you had a wonderful break, it's true I love to walk around the village especially at dusk.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a real slog, now I know more or less what I'm doing I'm loving it, and the way I feel.
Your comments are very encouraging as always.
XxxCCLxxx
Cannot believe the change in your perspective - it's wonderful and inspiring. We all must find our own path out of illness. Sometimes, the trail is difficult, but one step in front of the other usually means success. I am also about helping my body to heal without relying on pharmaceuticals unless absolutely necessary. I eat low-carb and have cut out a lot of wheat products. I feel better, my weight is stable, and my attitude remains positive. I exercise daily, trying to do 4-5 miles if I don't hike or bike. Walking in your enchanting surroundings would be a pleasure. The village looks right out of a storybook. I'm happy for your change in health and attitude! (PS Your spa stay sounds incredible!)
ReplyDeleteIt is incredible the difference a way of eating can make I was flying by the seat of my pants so to speak, but luckily it has paid off in every way I can think of, even though all I was looking for was to lower my blood sugar, all the rest is a very happy side effect!
DeleteI also love your big country and woody surroundings, as you know I drool over your pictures.
I think one has to be a little scared, a little myopic and pretty bloody minded to get through things like, which is lucky I think I might be all 3 of those. Xxxx
well now this is fantastic! well done for doing it all your way...this is such an inspirational post for many people.
ReplyDeletei struggle with my diabetes because of my m.e and fibro~the ups and downs i have with these i am sure has links to my blood sugar levels. i started swimming about two months ago and slowly dropping weight. i tend not to weigh myself often but go on how my clothes are fitting. now i have even more inspiration to keep going!
Hi Laois, I'm so glad you have found my journey interesting, I can see how you have it a bit trickier, although low carbing is also meant to help with fibro too. Not sure about M.E. wouldn't surprise me if it helped there too.
ReplyDeleteThere is a lady called Maria Emmerich who has written some very useful cookery books with good information in too, you can find her on amazon.
Also a book called the Art and science of low carbohydrate living, which has helped me understand what I'm doing more, unfortunately I only found them some way down the line, and the science book just last week.
I needed to understand the fat eating part instead of just doing it, but was to scared to find out more until I found that it did work!
Well done with the swimming, such a nice way to excersise.
Hope u let me know how you get on.
Xxx
"...it's funny how everyone has an opinion, even when they have not a clue what they are talking about."
ReplyDeleteOh, ain't it the truth!
Love all the pictures. Going back to pore over them now.