Monday, 19 November 2012

Apparently fire walking is off the menu!

Yes would you believe it, no surely not!  I have always wanted to do that.........Fire Walk, why ? surely if one can do that, ones mind must be pretty good, but maybe not your feet in the end, actually,  doing it even with being diabetic would be more of an achievement, hey its still on the menu after all.

Well lets face it, it feels pretty dangerous eating anything these days, I get up take my BS  reading, then my BP reading, try and eat breakfast, which i hate, 2 hours later, take my BS reading, with any luck my number are not too high, meaning what ever morsel of low carb food i managed to eat will not be doing much damage, then 4-5 hours later i go through it all again, hoping that what food i think i can eat, is not damaging my internal organs with saturated sugar or insulin, not sure which is the harmful process, or maybe its both.

The chances of heart attack, stroke, cancer, blindness,organ failure (any of them) altziemers, and foot amputation,  and neuropathy the list goes on I'm afraid has multiplied to the moon and back, I'm sure they were the stats quoted.

I also read that i now have to keep my feet dry, 'dont stay too long in the shower' if i have to have a bath spread Vaseline on my feet' whats all that about? surely my feet are water proof? Don't wear socks with seams, or socks with elasticated tops???? So Nora Batty look for me from now on.

Now one of my only pleasures is to visit a Spa I love, where I can go on my own if i need to, Spa equates to wet feet a lot of the time, am i to worry now that my feet are wet for any length of time? so not relaxing, having that little worry in the back of my head all the time.

I keep thinking that I will wake up and find this all to be a dream, or maybe the docs have made a mistake, apparently this is normal, to have denial, and anger, but no one said anything about extreme sarcasm, cynicism.

So, I am giving up on trying to keep myself safe, I am NOT going to live in fear, im going to go out into the world and do anything I damn well want to, spend my money the pleasure of my choice, and if that includes Fire Walking then so be it.

So watch out you lot, i might be turning up for a cuppa one of these days! you will recognise me by my burnt saggy socks, my feet will be very dry though.




12 comments:

  1. keep your feet dry? A new one to me. As to the non elasticated socks? Wear flip-flops- or Jandals as they are called in NZ!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, they have also stipulated no thong between the toes, NHS dictat im afraid.

      Delete
  2. ohh thats new to me too!!! maybe my gp practice is a little lax?!
    well done for being so good...i however am still...5-6 years down the line trying to come to terms with my diagnosis and am a very bad patient (although lost two stone in one year not even trying...goddess knows how that happened!) i have also lost my taste for chocolate which cannot be a bad thing...but ohhh cheesy quavers tempt me not!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to love Quavers when i was a teenager, its no fun is it, no carbs, no sugar!
      Apparently 85% chocolate is ok in small amounts, and something i have had is straight cocoa, with cream and water, with a little liquor added to sweeten. That was like heaven, also strawberries and cream did nothing to my BG levels.

      Delete
  3. This has to take the prize for the best blog title AND the best closing sentence I've read today! Good for you for sticking two fingers up to some of the more daft sounding restrictions though. I'm sure if we adhered to every list of 'can't do's' in life, we'd all simply fade away from sheer boredom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KAte, thats what im worried about fading away, and the boredom. I have much to learn about this, which im more than willing to do, then i will weigh up the things i can ignore once in a while.
      I want to fly by the seat of my pants!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad I don't go to the same clinic as you ,
    shameless paddler , barefooted , toast-eating person that I am .
    P.S. Try baking eating apples with a good sprinkling of cinammon instead of sugar and butter . Delicious and low carbohydrate . Won't cure you ... but very cheering as low carb snacks go !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told by my doctor not to eat fruit and apples were mentioned specifically, im going to try that though, i am beginning to wonder if my doctor is off his rocker, he was about to go on holiday, he must have been at the end of his tether. possibly just a bad doctor, thats scarey, mind he did forget to tell me 2 years ago i was pre diabetic!

      Delete
  5. God love ya CC, this is the best chuckle and read I've had in a while. Your humour (amidst the seriousness) will get through to a comfortable spot with this whole thing. A 'balance' if you will. You're doing great since it all came out.
    But heck girl, you keep those tootsies dry, hence they fall right off. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course your feet will be dry, you’ll have fire-walked to my house.

    You’ll get into the habit of doing what needs doing - and not doing - I’m sure; why should you not be able to cope if thousands can? The problem with getting old is that too many bits fall off and if they don’t fall off, they go wrong.

    Just think of the alternative and you’ll be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Crone, your post made me smile - glad you're feisty. However I know it's not fun or funny for you. I think the foot thing may be a good warning for a REALLY old person, but surely you can manage just fine in the water or out. Come with me on a walk - oh I know we're far from each other, but in our minds and hearts, I mean. I've been doing 4-5 miles for years now. It helps with mood appetite, cholesterol, and glucose levels. Also, you can wear any socks that are comfy and don't rub or cause blisters. Start with a distance that's comfortable then add. Your dog will be in Heaven! Also, it doesn't take a lot of time - just commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your sweet and kind words CC, my email program did not automatically save your address like its supposed to! So could you send another email and I'll place your address myself into my contact list!
    Hope you're doing good.
    x

    ReplyDelete